You can see from the above image how bad it was. Each of the 100 images had the same problem. Luckily I went when it wasn't very busy but if there were large numbers of viewers it could spoil it for everyone.
On the other hand I found that, for once, I could agree with the Gold Medal image of Alice by Carolyn Mendelsohn which was quite delightful. I very often can't understand why such a picture would be awarded a winning place but this one is entrancing.
Carolyn MendelsohnCarolyne
Carolyn Mendelsohn
![]() |
| (c) Alice by Carolyn Mendelsohn |
Here's a couple of prints from the 'also ran' images which I could enjoy. About 10% were completely incomprehensible.
On the whole I enjoyed the visit as I was also able to visit the Sisters in Song being exhibited in the Rebellion basement gallery.
This was interesting as a photographer called Cecil Sharp went round the county taking pictures of Women Folk Singers. Cecil, a London-based music teacher, began collecting Somerset folk songs in August 1903. This exhibition tells the story of the Somerset women who provided Sharp with hundreds of folks songs. It includes a selection of photographs provided by the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library, English Folk Dance and Song Society.



No comments:
Post a Comment